Sunday, 10 November 2013

Gibbs - The six prompts + explanations

(1). What Happened? - Section 1 in the Gibbs Reflective Cycle

This is the first prompt of the Gibbs Reflective Cycle and you should use each of the prompts in your blog to break your written work up into clearly defined sections.

Normally this doesn't have to be a long section, because you're simply describing what you've done, don't start to write up why you've done things or any detail beyond a simple description. Keep this short and concise, unless of course you've done a lot of things...

Example...

(1) What Happened?
 Saturday 31st. It’s been pretty much a day of reconnaissance, research and preparation. I’ve been out and priced up a lot of the stuff that I’ll need and I’ve found where I can get my prints made cheaply. I’ve done two shoots and done some short term analysis that then led me to conduct the 2nd shoot and develop the work further. I’ve already placed an order for the 1st batch of prints.

 
(2). Feelings

This is the second prompt and this similarly to the first, is usually a short and concise entry. In this one you're just writing about how you feel and you use terminology that relates to your feelings... Confident, stressed, worried, concerned, inundated, not coping, on top of it, cruising. It's also a good vehicle to highlight some of these concerns, because your lecturers may pick up on them and react to them once read.

Example...

(2) How do I feel?
 At the moment I’m feeling okay about things as everything is coming together okay, the only foreseeable problem is the turn around time for my prints, so that a little concerning. I’m unsure about whether to put in the extra effort to make the 3D support, or buy a skull or look at one of the other options?
 
(3). Evaluation (What was good/bad)
 
Again the third prompt can be short and to the point. Simply write about some of the good and bad stuff. When you write about the good stuff, try and focus on new learning and new experiences as a priority, but don't go beyond basic describing.
 
Example...
 
(3) Evaluation
 At the moment the good stuff out-ways the bad stuff, the lessons are all coming together nicely and I feel like I’m learning at a rate that I can keep up with. This lesson in particular was really useful and has made me realise a few things about the light in my flat where I am going to do my location shoot. I also think now if I look at photographs and paintings I’m going to be able to analyse the light at least in terms of where its coming from and whether it is point or diffuse light.
 
 Bad stuff, is primarily down to me being lazy. The work from the last three weeks wasn’t written up like this and I’ve still yet to use my camera outside of college and I really do need to try it out at my flat. I’ve not been printing off the images from the lesson and these images here are the first to have gone in my book, so I need to catch up.
(4) Analysis - (The details)

This is possibly the most important section where you demonstrate your knowledge and make connections between your research and your own work. You need to question what you're doing and look at how things may be done differently in order to affect improvements within your work. One of the methods I recommend is to build in the frequent use of the question What if?

You should use your own images on the blog and analyse them in terms of their visual language content, describe the changes and improvements from the previous shoots, compare and contrast the images.

Continually refer to the connections between your research and your work, explain what aspects you're borrowing and being influenced by, how and why they work in your images?

Use this section to describe the use of your camera, analyse the use of it... What if? Maybe if the camera was used in another way or even a completely different camera, how might this force improvements?

Analyse the light for definite! You're a photographer, light is your main tool, light is what helps to tell the story, defines your own style.

Analysis
Generally, all analysis gets beyond mere description and into examination and explanation.

 Analysis is the process of breaking a complex topic or substance into smaller parts to gain a better understanding of it.

Example 1
Example 2




 

No comments:

Post a Comment